Thursday, July 19, 2007

Manhattan



As Manhattan was erupting yesterday, I ducked into a subway, hopped on a 1 train and took a trip down to the Film Fourm to visit Manhattan of the past. The not to distant past. Late 70's.

I haven't seen Woody Allen's Manhattan in well over 10 years, and I probably only saw it once so it really was like watching it all over again.

Great movie. Very funny. Very adult. I don't get all the jokes. "Your self esteem is like a notch below Kafka's." Well, I guess I'd have to research that one, but what I can not stand, and there were plenty in the snooty crowd I watched this movie with, is the people who do get the joke.

They laugh. They laugh REALLY LOUD. Maybe about 4 or 5 people in the crowd. Falling out of their chair at a Kafka joke. Or a Noel Coward joke.

Ok, I get it. YOU get it. But do you really have to laugh out loud "HA! I GET THAT JOKE BECAUSE I'M CULTURED AND I READ!" ??

Shut up asshole.

But apart from the snoots and Woody's whining, it really is a funny movie with with one of the best supporting cast members ever: Manhattan itself.

The city before the war on terror had everyone on edge. Before the skyline looked a little shorter.

The city plays much as part of the movie as the character's messed up lives.

So enjoy one of the best opening scenes ever.... in Spanish! Because of some dumb copyright law.



No comments: