Monday, August 07, 2006

SPOTLIGHT: Firefly


This weekend I watched the cancelled tv show Firefly.

I cannot say enough great things about this show. It's simply awesome and a damn shame that it is not still on the air.

I'm new to the Firefly bandwagon. I never watched it when it did air on FOX in 2002.

But last year the movie Serenity came out. The DVD sales did so well that a movie was made, and a damn fine one at that. I went into the theater knowing nothing about the movie (other than TV ads) and walked out seeing the best movie of year, I thought.

It has sometime been labeled as a "western in space". And sure, it does have that aspect, but in reality it's just a well written show. The characters are awesome. Funny, retrospective, sad - all the drama of a good sci-fi show without the stuffiness of the Enterprise.

An added bonus is the episode commentary on the Firefly boxset.

Alan Tudyk, who plays Wash, should do commentary for everything. The man is hilarious.

Firefly fans will get what I'm talking about - but, if you are unaware and looking for something new to watch, check it out.

1 comment:

anne altman said...

your weekend sounds lame.