Monday, November 06, 2006

Stuck In The Mud


I went down to the Hudson River today to watch the Coast Guard move the U.S.S. Intrepid from it's west side docked home down past Hoboken and the Statue Of Liberty to its new home in Bayonne, New Jersey where it was going to be fixed up over the next few years.

Alas, it was not to be. The propellers got stuck in the mud.

The Intrepid has quite a history. Just this quote gives me chills:

Before the World War II warship's departure, Hector Giannesca stood on the flight deck Monday morning.

"On March 25, 1944, I was standing on this deck almost in the exact spot as today when a kamikaze crashed into the deck and killed 79 of my shipmates. I was spared," he said.

Fascinating history. Read more about it here.

I went to a party once on the flight deck where among the various types of planes and jets there was scattered kegs of beer and live music. That was pretty cool.

No comments: